Rat Control: Why You Should Ditch the Poison for Better Alternatives

Posted on: 13 January 2020

Do you have a rat infestation in your home? If so, you may be looking for ways to exterminate the pesky creatures. Besides leaving their droppings and urine all over your house, rats can also transmit diseases if they bite or scratch humans. Therefore, it's imperative to get rid of them fast. 

In a bid to control a rat infestation, most people turn to poison, which is known for killing rodents instantly. While this may seem like a good idea, it isn't. Keep reading to learn more about why you shouldn't turn to poison as a rat control technique in your home.

Poison Treatment is Ineffective

Most rat poison products claim to kill and eliminate rats instantly. While this is true, it's not entirely accurate. When using poison, you sprinkle it in areas you suspect the rats hide. These include the attic, basements, open walls and crawlspaces. Only the rats that ingest the poison will die. This means that if you have a widespread infestation, the poison won't kill all the rats. There is no guarantee that the treatment will be entirely effective.

This is unlike professional extermination techniques that aim at eliminating all rodents in your home. Follow-up treatment is also administered to finish off any survivors. With poison, you may have to wait for months to get rid of all the rats in your home.

Treatment Is Temporary

Killing the rats in your home using poison is a temporary solution to the problem. If the cause of the infestation is not identified, more rats will find their way into your home. Instead, opt for solutions that aim at a more permanent fix. How did the rats get into your home? If you can answer this question and fix the problem, you will get rid of the creatures permanently.

In addition to extermination, proper control should aim at taking preventive measures as well. These include maintaining proper sanitation and hygiene, closing up holes and rodent nests, cleaning your yard to prevent outdoor nesting and sealing cracks that allow rodents into your home.

Poison is Dangerous for Use

What would happen if your cat or dog accidentally came across rat poison and ingested it? The results would be deadly. Using poison is dangerous for your toddlers and pets. Anyone who ingests the poison can suffer severe internal bleeding and unexplainable pain. A slow death follows, which is inhumane as compared to other extermination methods such as the use of cage traps and snap traps.

Using poison leaves you with dead carcasses which can pollute the air quality in your home if not found on time. Resist this treatment and opt for safer, more humane and effective rat control alternatives. Talk to a rat control professional for extermination services.


First Homeowners Guide To Pest Control

From rodents in the winter to flying termites in the spring, Australia has plenty of pests hoping to set themselves up in your home. Pest control is not a subject first-time homeowners know about when they purchase a property, so that's where our blog comes to your rescue. Different seasons bring with them different pests, and we want to make sure they don't enter your property and cause damage. When you're looking for information about what pests are lurking and how best to control them, then look no further than the posts contained on this website. We know how to keep your home free of pests.


Latest Posts